Lola’s Croqueta Recipe, Irish Tatler, June 2016
We were delighted to see our croqueta recipe making an appearance in Irish Tatler Magazine's June edition. It's certainly proven to be a popular recipe amongst readers. Try it out! Check out below!
Croquetas de pollo
- 250gr chicken (1 small chicken to roast)
- 160gr butter
- 160gr sieved flour
- 1l “warm” milk
- ½ diced onion
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1½ teaspoons ground nutmeg
To breadcrumb the croquetas
- 150gr flour
- 4 whisked eggs
- 150gr breadcrumbs
Oil to fry
- Preheat the oven 220c.
- Only 250gr of chicken required – we use roasted free-range chicken for enhanced flavor. So place a small chicken on a baking tray and roast for an hour at 170C.
- While the chicken is in the oven; put a large pot on a medium heat; add the butter. When melted, add the onion and cook until soft.
- Add the sieved flour and stir constantly until the flour is golden.
- Add “warm” milk and with a whisk stir all the time until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Add the salt, pepper and nutmeg, then set a side.
- Once the chicken is cooked, chop 250gr of meat (off the breast and thigh).
- Add the chicken to the pot above and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Put the mix on a flat baking tray and let to cool. Then refrigerate for at least 6 hours (or until the next day).
- 3 plates – one for the flour; one for the whisked eggs; and one for the breadcrumbs.
- Using your hands, shape the croquetas to desired size (we suggest 6-8cm long). Pass through the flour, then the eggs and finish with breadcrumbs. Continue until the mix is finished.
Add enough oil to a large saucepan to reach a depth of 6cm. Bring to a medium heat. Deep-fry the croquetas, slowly turning them until golden brown.
Tip: Replace the chicken with ham, prawns or mushrooms for variety.
< Previous Article
Dublintown.ie & LeglessinDublin recommends Lola as a favourite wheelchair friendly place to visit
Next Article >
Lola Tapas Time, Food & Wine Magazine, May 2016